Skip to content

Welcome to School Social Work

School Social Workers, Connecting Schools, Families, and the Community throughout the District.

As required by Florida Statutes and School Board Policy, School Social Workers facilitate parental cooperation to resolve excessive absences. If excessive absences continue the child and parent are referred to Court for further action.

As a member of the Student Assessment Team, School Social Workers interview the student's legal guardian to obtain pertinent information relative to child development. Standardized assessments are completed which assist with student interventions and exceptional education eligibility. Individualized recommendations and referrals are made to medical, mental health, financial, and other agency providers to assist students and families.

School Social Workers also provide direct services to students and their families by providing crisis, individual, family, or group counseling.

Mental Health Counseling

District Mental Health Counselors

The District Mental Health Counselors for Okeechobee County Public Schools work with SEDNET (The Multiagency Network for Students with Emotional Disabilities) to monitor school-based mental health counseling services for students classified with emotional/behavioral disabilities. A district-wide counseling referral process was created by the District Mental Health Counselors to assist school personnel in accessing school-based mental health counseling services from community-based providers.

The District Mental Health Counselors monitor and coordinate counseling services provided to students with emotional/behavioral disabilities throughout the school-year. Additionally, they are available to provide consultation and presentations on mental health issues to school personnel.

Meet the Mental Health Counselors

Katharine Williams -

Kathlene Baum-

Who is your School Social Worker?

School Social Worker

School Social Workers are certified and/or licensed by the state of Florida.

• OCSB School Social Workers have a variety of certifications / licensures including Masters of Social Work, Academy of Certified Social Workers,Licensed Clinical Social Worker, and National Certification as a Certified School Social Work Specialist.  

• In Okeechobee County, School Social Workers may also be members of the National Association of School Social Workers and the Florida Association of School Social Workers.

Okeechobee County's Social Worker

Pam Harwas,BSW

Pam has been with OCSB sense 2001. She has served the community and it's students for 14 years. Pam works with community agencies to find counseling and other services for the students and parents of Okeechobee County.

To contact Pam:

863-462-5000 ext. 298

Medicaid Billing

Medicaid Billing

This department prepares and submits Medicaid billing for exceptional education students

  • Assessments
  •  Scores adaptive measures
  • Report development
  • Crisis intervention counseling
  • Consultation, coordination and follow-up with other health care staff, parent, 
    teachers and family

Saves money by generating dollars for Medicaid reimbursable services

Family Health Resources

Family Health Resource Information

  1. For low cost health insurance for children: apply on line at or pick up an application from your school site
  2.  Inexpensive health care for adults and children without insurance is available at Florida Community Health Centers

Contact Information

School Social Worker Contact Information

You may contact a School Social Worker by calling 863-462-5000 ext 298 or you may email her at